Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Blogging Part 2

If my last post was based on my impressions about the post before it, this one is kind of “State of the Blog” address. 

 

Besides having to take time to think about the nature of blogging, I’ve also been posting less for other reasons as well.  First, I’ve been working every day as a video editor, which has occupied my time.  Second, I am now submitting articles once or twice a week to the new online magazine Rhombus.  If you haven’t read Rhombus yet, you should.  In my case, I’m basically submitting stuff that would be on this blog, but usually with more immediate relevancy to the larger world.  (In other words, I might not submit film reviews of old movies, fashion tips, or criticisms of LDS church magazines.)  Though I won’t have an article in Rhombus everyday, I will have one in it frequently and many of the other writers are also quite engaging as well.   

 

What this means for this blog is that posts will probably continue to be less frequent.  (I’m hoping for once or twice a week.)  Also, the topics will probably tend to be those things I mentioned above as not being appropriate or timely for a magazine.  Obviously I will try to continue to bring a critical eye to everything that I write about, however, so hopefully this blog will be as engaging (or offensive) with each post.  Because I’ll be sending some of my more decorous writing to Rhombus, the blog may become even more engaging (and offensive) as I try to take it in a less “journalistic” (or perhaps “column-istic”) direction.  (Unfortunately posts may also become even less polished as I have less time to proof read and edit them.) 

 

While the primary purpose of this blog was hopefully to start discussions, I also began doing it as a way to practice writing quickly and for a more popular/broader audience that I’m used to in school.  I also saw it as a way to think critically about popular cultural (which I believe is infinitely more important than anything I’ve written about or discussed in school.)  When I started writing for Rhombus about a week ago I understood that doing so would take away from these pursuits.  After all, I only have so much time and energy for writing.  However, I also saw it as a way to engage with more people and to have an editor telling me what should and shouldn’t be out there for people to read. 

 

(You can read my first two Rhombus articles here and here.  Also check back frequently because I should have stuff in there often.)

1 comment:

  1. Jim, I always love a good debate. I always have. But I feel like pulling out when the topics turn to always being negative or I feel like someone is just trying to get a rise out of me. I hate that. I feel like the value of the debate is lost. Anyways, stuff to be aware of I guess when having a blog like this. I too wish for more of a classroom setting but what can you do?

    ReplyDelete