Friday, March 18, 2011

TV News

I really can't adquately express my disdain for network TV news. Before working at a newspaper, I thought it was just pointless fluff that existed as a relic from a previous time. At best, it was mindnumbing, and at worst it made (usually middle aged) people mistakenly think they are informed.

But since working for a newspaper I've seen an even worse side of the TV news business. After a recent rape hearing, camera's chased down the victim and stuck lights and lenses in her face. They literally chased her and her family into an elevator, despite the fact that new organizations pretty much all have a policy against revealing the identity of sex crime victims.

Earlier this week, I also saw a man get some tragic news (possibly that a family member died in a fire, though I was out of earshot). The man nearly collapsed on the ground with sorrow, and was sobbing uncontrollably. And of course, a TV camera man ran over with a huge light and got in the guy's face.

Of course, not every TV camera man is bad (I knew a cool one not too long ago), but I can't say I've ever seen a network news broadcast that wasn't pointless. And now, I can add insensitivity to the idiotic things TV news does.

(I should mention though that I'm talking exclusively about network affiliates of ABC, NBC, Fox, etc. not CNN and MSNBC.)

2 comments:

  1. Most the time when I watch network news, the rhetoric makes me feel like someone is trying really hard to pull my strings. And I also think it's really obnoxious the methods they sometimes use to get the stories. So, I pretty much agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mostly just hate TV news anchors -

    So and so will get 25 years in the state pen for the rape and murder of 3 children. (sad face) And now, some videos of puppies!! (happy, excited face)

    ReplyDelete