Friday, March 12, 2010

Travel Tips: Buying Plane Tickets

In my last post I discussed (at length) the process by which Laura and I got our tickets for our up coming trip. However, I wanted to consolidate the lessons we learned into one succinct post, in case that might benefit someone. So here are a few of the things that I'd recommend if you're planning a long, overseas trip.

1. Be flexible. With work schedules this can be tough, but it can also save hundreds of dollars (or more). Keep in mind the more flexible you are, the cheaper the trip will be. And that doesn't just mean being flexible with your dates. Consider flying into different airports, visiting different places, etc. Basically, if there are a bunch of places you want to go, look at them all before you get your heart set on anything in particular, and then chose the one that's most aligned with your budget.

2. Use a travel agent for long or complex flight plans. I probably wouldn't call an agent if I was flying to San Diego to see my in-laws for Christmas because I can find ridiculously low fares for a trip like that on my own, in just a few minutes. I also know exactly when and where I'm going. However, for longer trips, where I might have some wiggle room, travel agents are very helpful.

3. Keep in mind, a travel agent will not cost you more. This is a common misconception, but if the fare or itinerary an agent gives you isn't to your liking, you don't have to buy it. They are trying to win your business, so it's their responsibility to be competitive. And a lot of the time, they will be.

4. Plan in advance. The first time I looked up fares for our trip was over a year ago. That means we were thinking about our trip at least a year and a half before it was supposed to happen. Ideally, you'd track the price of your trip for years before doing it, so you'd have a really good idea when the best time to get tickets will be (though an agent should be able to give advice about that).

5. Round up. Decide you're initially willing to spend, then add a few hundred dollars to that number and assume that's what the tickets are going to cost you. Doing this will provide a psychological cushion if things turn out to be more expensive, and if prices turn out to be cheaper (as they did for us), you'll have even more money to spend on other things during the trip. This may mean that you end up waiting a little longer to go on the trip as you save up more, but in the end you'll be less stressed out about money.

2 comments:

  1. These are some really good tips, Jim. Traveling has been on my mind a lot lately. I am reading a great book right now if you our Laura need good recommendation. It's called "360 Degrees Longitude". It is a travel memior of a family of 4 (children ages 11 and 8) that spent 52 weeks traveling around the entire world. They saved up and planned for this trip for over 10 years. For example, they took 2 tandom bikes with them and planned to spend 5 months biking from London to Istambol. It is witty and a fun read and quite entertaining. And what's also cool is that they have their entire trip documented on Google Earth, and so periodically there are spots in the book that have the G.E. icon where you can learn more and see pictures.

    It is a fun book, and thought you guys might like it. I am excited for your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoa, I definitely want to look for that book - it sounds incredible

    ReplyDelete