Friday, July 31, 2009

Children, Parents, and the Rest of Us

If you have children, don’t complain.  About anything.  More specifically, if you’ve chosen to have kids you also need to accept the fact that your children will probably consume the best years of your life and that you have no right to inconvenience complete strangers with them.  In other words, please stay at home. 

If this all seems a bit insensitive let me explain: my college newspaper has recently published several letters arguing about whether it’s appropriate to bring small children into public spaces.  Not surprisingly, those against bringing children to places like movie theaters have pointed out that they are noisy and disruptive to other patrons.  What is surprising, however, is that those on the other side of the issue seem to feel that their actions are justified simply because “parents sometimes like to go out and do things.”

Obviously, I side with the former, but it still always surprises me when I come across people who act like they’re doing all of us a favor by having children and we should all be accordingly sympathetic.  Don’t misunderstand: I do believe that having children can be a rewarding experience and it’s something that I look forward to doing someday.  Yet, when people choose to have kids it also seems like they should be realistic about that choice.  Obviously, that means doing fewer fun things, but it also means that a lot of people without children aren’t going to want to have you and your family around very much.  When it comes to movie theaters, restaurants, etc., I frankly don’t think children should be allowed.  Or at least, they shouldn’t be allowed during prime hours when everyone else is trying to spend a night out.  If that means parents have a harder time, so be it; that’s all part of the job.

Certainly this isn’t a black and white issue and society benefits by being accommodating.  I know, for example, that if I go see a matinee of Harry Potter there are going to be noisy kids there.  On the other hand, I would never go see a matinee of Harry Potter.  In fact, when it comes to movies, I generally try to avoid anything that could be remotely described as “family oriented” because nearly every time I go I end up paying more attention to the crying babies and talking toddlers than the actual movie.  This is particularly frustrating because there are “family oriented” movies I’d like to see.  My solution has been to go late, as I’d expect 11 PM showings of these movies to be kid-free.  Alas, that is so rarely the case.             

There are, of course, many people in the world who have children due to unfortunate circumstances: rape, teen pregnancy, faulty birth control, etc.  These are sad circumstances.  However, if the victims of these events were the only ones bringing their children to places they ought not to be, it’d be rare that we’d hear crying babies at inconvenient times.  The problem, in reality, is that there are many people who have chosen to have children who also impose their children on unsuspecting strangers.  I’m sure those children are beautiful and wonderful.  I’m sure they bring great satisfaction to their families.  I’m sure they’re the apples of their parents’ eyes.  But please, don’t force the rest of us to participate in your parenting woes.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, harsh, Jim. Very Victorian of you. As cliche as it sounds though, I think you'll change your mind when you have children. Plus, how are children to learn good behavior if you never take them into public places to practice it.

    Of course, I agree that parents ought to know the limitations of their children's patience. For example, baby Georgie used to easily sleep through a movie. Now he's a little less easy to maintain, so we don't take him to as many movies. As someone in my ward said Brigham Young said, "Young children are like good intentions: both should be carried out quickly."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, this makes me laugh! I think you'll laugh too when you read this after having three kids.

    One thing I'll point out is your current seemingly negative attitude towards kids. You say having kids means "doing fewer fun things" and they shouldn't be allowed anywhere because they are a bother. Many would agree. However, watching a kid, I think once you've had your own for a lot of people, is like watching a fire. You can just watch forever and in a weird way it is very entertaining. Plus, I think kids enhance a lot of ordinary experiences.

    Something I coming to realize is that being a mom and having a kid isn't sexy. There is nothing glamorous about it as much as I wish there were. I don't get pats on the back, I don't get told what a great job I'm doing, I don't magically look amazing and have people loving me, and several of my life goals will have to be realized at another time.

    In fact, a lot of the surface judgments I'd becoming accustom to making about myself, revolving around how cool am i, fall short. And you know what, I honestly don't care so much anymore. It's freeing, liberating to have someone else other than me to focus on, to stop judging myself compared to all the other "hip" young people, and old people around me - because like I said, it just isn't glamorous to be a mom. This doesn't mean I don't focus on myself, my fitness, growing knowledge, looks and health... but it's more for me and my family now. Say what you will but I actually feel more proud and generally content with my life than I have probably since the weird middle school years began. Much of this I attribute to motherhood, (and moving out of Provo).

    I hope to have five or so kids with John. I love him and I love watching him be a dad. We're both growing and learning so much together. We both have to give more of ourselves and try harder. We do get embarrassed when Daphne gets cranky at a restaurant and we've stopped taking her to the movies all together - for now, but I know we'll do it again sometime, maybe with our next kid. You know, oddly, a lot of times I think adults are worse at ruining others experiences than children are. I hope we can all be considerate, and less critical of everyone, adults and children. It is a lot more satisfying to find the good and the beautiful in life.

    Oh, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE ELECTRON DECEPTION!!! You're music rocks! I wear the shirt proudly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mentally retarded adults and people with a substandard level of personal hygeine should also probably be barred from public places.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you're right about this: when in public, parents do need to be aware of how their children may be affecting other people. And if they can't get their kids under control, they should probably remove them from the situation. This has nothing to do with how cute the kids are, how much a joy children can be, or etc. It's just part of being a good parent, I think. And I think it can be a method of teaching children to behave better..."You can go to the movies when you behave appropriately..." etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since communities can't exist long without kids, communities would do well to celebrate them. Certainly they can be quite inconvenient, but I think a healthy community learns to laugh at the quirky loudness of kids, rather than disdain their presence in public. You've seemed to adopt some of the European views, which may have harmful consequences.

    Search "The EU's baby blues."

    ReplyDelete