Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Men’s Fashion Tip for June

First, I realize that many, many men do not like to think about fashion.  I don’t know how many times I’ve heard them say “I just wear what is comfortable,” or “I don’t want to expend the energy thinking about my clothing.”  These statements seem to stem from the mistaken belief that something like “fashion neutrality” exists.  Well, men, it doesn’t.  Everything we wear is a statement.  You may not be thinking about that statement, or you may not want to, or you may not be capable of thinking about it.  I don’t know.  But if you refuse to put forth the effort to think about what you’re wearing (something that really takes almost no effort), you’re probably broadcasting to the world that you refuse to do other, more important things.  And while no one wants to look terrible all the time, mistakenly aiming for “fashion neutrality” is the surest way to achieve a disastrous image that will be prejudicial in just about any setting.  Also, remember that comfort is relative; it has to do more with being accustomed to an article of clothing than any objective cut or style.  (If you don’t believe me, switch styles for a month.  For the sake of experimentation, try wearing skinny jeans or something else radically different.  When the month is up I bet you’ll be more comfortable in the new style than the old one.) 

 

So, think about what you wear.  One way to start doing that, now that it’s late spring, is to not dress like an old man in 1995.  One of the most common articles of clothing I see on men at this time of year is the pleated pant.  Worse, I often see pleated khaki pants.  If you wear this type of pant, please STOP NOW.  It is hideous, and no matter how good you think you look, you’re wrong.  I understand that the dotcom boom of the late 90s made casual wear acceptable all over the place.  What I don’t understand is why that casual wear had to make everyone look fat and ugly.

 

Luckily, that was ten years ago.  Today it’s permissible to wear light, spring colors in relaxed cuts, without looking like you’ve got two hot air balloons around your legs.  So avoid pleats, as a pleat-less pant is slimming, professional, and athletic looking.  Also, be creative with colors.  Khaki is ugly.  It was designed, if my memory serves, for the British Army to wear in 19th century India.  So if you’re in the British Military and stationed in India, go for it.  Otherwise, try something else.  I recently got a modern looking pair of brown pants that has a light pinstripe.  Those stripes make a huge difference.

 

Just remember, for a little bit of money at infrequent intervals you can look a lot better.  This translates into success in every field of life.  And remember, your clothes really are a statement.  There is no fashion neutrality.    

6 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha ha!!! I agree with every part of this post! A girl's reaction to seeing boys in pleats..."What?! That looks funny. What is he hiding in there? Aren't those kinda pants supposed to be worn WAY above the belly button?"

    I've come to realize that every boy, every person cares about what they look like. We're built that way. And if you truely think you don't care, someone cares for you... so for their sake...! Thanks for admitting this and talking about it as a guy, it's refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jill. I'm glad you agree. Yeah, I'm sure some people continue to wear silly looking things and be totally happy about that, which is cool. However, what always surprises me is when people go get new clothes and CHOOSE to look silly while at the same time seemingly not knowing any better. Laura and I talk about fashion all the time, but I think there are people (especially guys) who never do, so hopefully this tip will come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post. I love your blog. It's sort of comforting to "hear" your opinions again.

    I agree that the things we wear make a statement about us. I also feel pretty strongly that people should learn what looks good on them because I think it will make them feel better about themselves. And wearing things that look good and that make us feel good, well, it does have a huge effect on how attractive we are, that's a simple fact.

    But I also wonder if maybe some people who don't worry too much about it may be terribly happy people precisely because they're not worried about. But I think the individuals who sincerely are not concerned with how they look are very few.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rose, you bring up a good point: Happiness. I have to admit that that wasnt' really what I was thinking about when I wrote this. Rather, I was thinking more about professional and social "success," which could be making new friends, getting a job, getting a promotion, etc. However, your comment made me recognize that these things are NOT the same as happiness. I also realize that in some settings, looking "bad" will bring more success (though I'd argue that in those settings "bad" is actually "good").

    But yes, thinking about fashion and appearance isn't for everyone. Its for most people, just not all people ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right. It's hard to achieve success in most of areas of life by simply being happy. It does help to present yourself well. And now that I've said my part about happiness, I have to say that I really wish pleated pants had not been invented. I do not understand how they can be considered comfortable (by those who wear "comfortable" clothes rather than fashionable) because when you sit down they pooch out all funny. You'd think they'd get in the way.

    But maybe they're more comfortable for those who like to go commando.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AMEN, JIM. I actually believe the BYU campus is the only remaining place at which I see the dreaded 'black dress socks with teva's' combination.

    ReplyDelete