Monday, June 1, 2009

Silk Screening (Electron Deception T Shirts)



The pic above is Laura making a screen. Lately she and I have been trying to silk-screen t shirts, mainly for our band Electron Deception. We thought that after a few tries we could figure out how to do this, but its been proving more difficult than we expected. So far, we've managed to destroy a number of screens and photo emulsion sheets. On Saturday we got a fairly decent screen, but all the detail in the face was lost. Tomorrow we'll start again, I suppose. The image below is what we're trying to get onto the screen (and then the shirts). (Sorry for the low res image.) If you notice, the lettering is kind of thin, so we were worried about that part, plus the little wisps of hair. What turned out to be a problem was the eye area.

Regardless of how successful we are, we like the image we came up with. Its not the most original idea (if you've seen a Che t-shirt, or pretty much any shirt with an historical figure's face on it, it might seem pretty standard), but it seemed do-able for first time silk screeners. Also, we felt like the art deco-influenced font combined with the image of Laura's face (which I think of as more Blondie than Che), at least lets it not completely be a blatant rip off. Anyway, feedback is welcome. If we ever get it on a shirt, orders will be welcome too.

5 comments:

  1. so, I just found your blog yesterday. So glad about that. And I don't know how you guys are planning on doing the photo emulsion or how you have tried, but I learned a little trick from Dan Barney a while back... have you tried ModPODGE? I have seen people make their own screens by just hand tracing the desired image onto the screen and then sealing it with modpodge. It might make it more difficult to get the lettering clean, but you could do a nice job on the face. It's worth a try, right? Let me know how it ends up...I want a shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bridget, that is a very good idea. The photo emulsion is giving us some trouble, so it might be time to try that ModPodge. Hopefully we'll have something to show for all our effort soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought of Blondie when I saw the image - which is very cool by the way. Count me in for a shirt if you make it work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it totally looks like blondie. very nice.

    ReplyDelete